“Patients deserve access to safe, legal, and compassionate care regardless of how much money they make or how they are insured. Physicians for Reproductive Health is all in because our patients deserve dignity, respect, and access to all reproductive health care options.”
Physicians is a proud supporter of the EACH Woman Act, which is a groundbreaking bill that ensures a woman’s decision about abortion will not be based on how much she earns or how she is insured.
As our board chair-elect Dr. Willie Parker said:
“When a woman faces an unintended pregnancy, she needs to have access to all her options. The amount of money that she makes or how she is insured shouldn’t limit her decision-making ability. A woman’s health insurance should meet all her needs, regardless of how she gets her insurance, where she lives, or how little money she has. She needs to make the decision that is right for her and her family without government interference….It’s time to put an end to this discriminatory practice. It is not just a matter of fairness, it is a matter of justice.”
And as our former Reproductive Health Advocacy Fellow Dr. Lin Wang wrote:
It’s time to overturn the Hyde Amendment, which creates this unfair patchwork of coverage in our states…. The EACH Woman Act would ensure that we don’t parcel out rights to women in some states while ignoring others.
Read more about the act itself and how you can show your support here.
UPDATE: The vote to defund Planned Parenthood was defeated in the Senate. President/CEO Jodi Magee has released a statement.
Physicians for Reproductive Health is doing everything we can to counteract the harmful attacks on our colleagues at Planned Parenthood. In addition to our grassroots efforts, we have joined with 91 other organizations in a letter of support for Planned Parenthood to members of Congress.
Just this morning, we signed on to a letter with 17 other medical organizations to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), urging them to oppose Congressional efforts to deny Planned Parenthood federal public health funds.
And of course our doctor-advocates are speaking out:
- Consulting medical director Dr. Anne Davis appeared on MSNBC’s Now with Alex Wagner in response to the video campaign targeting Planned Parenthood, and to offer scientific facts about fetal tissue donation.
- Dr. Davis was also interviewed by Yahoo! Health News about the importance of fetal tissue donation. This led to another piece on Yahoo! Health News about why women may choose to donate fetal tissue after abortion.
- Board chair-elect Dr. Willie Parker was interviewed by Cosmopolitan about why he is standing with his colleague Dr. Deborah Nucatola at Planned Parenthood, who is targeted in the video sting against her organization. His interview was quoted in an RH Reality Check article about why abortion providers should take legal action against the Center for Medical Progress, the anti-choice extremists who covertly recorded the videos against Planned Parenthood.
- Dr. Parker also appeared on the news program Democracy Now!
- Former Physicians board chair Dr. Suzanne Poppema published an op-ed in the Seattle Times in response to the attacks by the Center for Medical Progress.
- Leadership Training Academy alumna Dr. Sandra Penn spoke to the Albuquerque Journal in reaction to protests in New Mexico that aimed to intimidate women, defund Planned Parenthood, and interfere with access to safe and legal abortion.
- Leadership Training Academy alumna Dr. Jennifer Kerns spoke to Public News Service, an independent news organization that syndicates its stories on public radio stations nationwide, about the attacks on Planned Parenthood, noting, “Fetal tissue research is a longstanding area of research, and one that has consistently advanced science and medicine. Every member of society has benefited from treatment discoveries that have been made from this research.”
Tonight, the Senate will vote on defunding Planned Parenthood. If you have not already done so, please send a message to your Senators right now.
As an organization dedicated to ensuring that all people have access to comprehensive reproductive health care, we will continue to be alert to opportunities to show our support for Planned Parenthood and all of our allied organizations, and to protect our doctors. And, of course we will not be deflected from our larger mission of advancing reproductive health care for all through our physician-advocates. We thank you for your support that enables us to do this work.